Say NO to Granville Estate Compulsory Purchase Order

Say NO to Granville Estate Compulsory Purchase Order

Granville Road Estate (Pram sheds/sheds and Beech Court) Compulsory Purchase Order 2018.

Do you want to object to the compulsory purchase order? The clock is ticking? VERY URGENT ACTION REQUIRED

Barnet Council applied for a compulsory purchase order to purchase the pram sheds that were meant to serve the existing residents on the Estate.
Regeneration is not necessarily a bad thing but when developers use terms such as “to create a sense of place” and “achieve an integrated balanced community” It’s clear they are not thinking about us that live here today.
How can these terms be used when residents will be deprived of necessary storage for their bulky and awkward items that can’t be left in their flats? Offering just 8 new sheds per tower block and 6 for Nant Court is a mockery and short sightedness to say the least. That is 30 pram sheds for 121 flats??? No doubt the new homes will have sufficient storage.
Sustainable development should apply to those who already live in the estate. You must laugh (no, cry) when developers call themselves considerate. What is considerate about these plans?
Based on feedback from many residents we recommend potential claimants object to a compulsory purchase order. By doing so claimants become a statutory objector to the proposed compulsory purchase order, obliging the Secretary of State to hold a Public Inquiry where the merits of the proposed Order can be properly examined.

Anyone who receives a personal notice of a CPO may, if their income and capital are within certain financial limits, be able to get financial help towards the costs of employing a solicitor to help them prepare their case. Further information on this is set out in the leaflet “The Community Legal Service” which is available from your local Citizens Advice Bureau or the Legal Services Commission. There are also solicitors that will do pro bono work if they feel there is a true sense of injustice.

An objection must be made in writing within the period stipulated in the notice (at least 21 days from the date of the notice which is 25th January 2018). On the expiry of the period, the confirming authority is required to hold a public inquiry, to arrange a hearing or, in certain circumstances, to use the written representations procedure. Not only does an objection give the claimant a possibility of defeating the Acquiring Authorities plans via a public inquiry, but also it can significantly improve the negotiation position of a claimant. Acquiring Authorities often properly engage with objectors providing a platform for discussion.
Objections usually fall into three categories as follows:
• You may agree with the purpose of the scheme, but you would like to see minor amendments to minimise the impact on you. Objections of this nature may secure changes to reduce the visual or noise intrusion of a scheme, or minor adjustments to the land required; or
• You may agree with the purpose of the scheme but you feel that it should be located elsewhere; or
• You may object to the scheme completely. As stated above, however, this cannot be solely because you object to adopted planning policy.
Care must be exercised in the preparation of objection letters. Certain grounds of objection can be dismissed. The objection letter needs to be comprehensive and take full account of the acquiring authority’s Statement of Case. It should set out the principle grounds of objection in a manner that will maximise the potential for success at Public Inquiry.
There is no obligation for an objector to appoint legal or other representation. However, if you intend to become involved in an inquiry you are strongly recommended to have the necessary specialist advice available. Legal advice is usually needed as, although an inquiry is not a court of law, it is subject to procedures set down by law and decisions arising from the inquiry are legally binding. You will also probably need expert witnesses to give technical and professional evidence. This will have cost implications
Financial help cannot be given towards legal representation at the inquiry. The availability of subsidised legal assistance depends upon your circumstances and in some cases the advice may be free. Contact Citizens Advice Bureau and the Legal Services Commission as well as pro bono solicitors.

If you want to object to the confirmation of the Order your objection must be made in writing and submitted to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government at the National Planning Casework Unit, 5 St Philips Place, Colmore Row, Birmingham, B3 2PW within 21 days of the date of this letter, quoting the formal Order as a reference. Granville Road Estate (Pram sheds/sheds and Beech Court) Compulsory Purchase Order 2018.
Remember the clock is ticking. (21 days from 25th January 2018)


%d bloggers like this: